My name is Christian Brand, and I’m a research group leader at the Institute of Quantum Technologies in Ulm, Germany, which is part of the German Aerospace Center (DLR). Here I work on the diffraction of fast atomic matter-waves through atomically thin membranes.
Before I went to Ulm, I worked with Markus Arndt in Vienna on molecular matter-wave diffraction, pioneering new beam splitter mechanisms. This included recent breakthroughs such as the diffracting molecules at atomically thin membranes, molecular Bragg diffraction, and the first test of Born’s rule with massive particles.
Birth: 05.10.1982 in Eckernförde, Germany
Marital status: married to Sandra Knuffinke
Since 01.2020 Group leader at the Institute of Quantum Technologies (German Aerospace Center) in Ulm, Germany
10.2019 – 12.2019 Scientific staff at the Institute of Quantum Technologies (German Aerospace Center) in Ulm, Germany (part-time)
10.2013 – 12.2019 PostDoc in the group of Quantum Nanophysics & Molecular Quantum Optics (Prof. Dr. M. Arndt) at the University of Vienna, Austria
02.2013 – 10.2013 PostDoc in the group of high-resolution laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy (Prof. Dr. M. Schmitt) at the Heinrich-Heine-University in Düsseldorf, Germany
07.2008 – 01.2013 Ph.D. in the group of high-resolution laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy (Prof. Dr. M. Schmitt) at the Heinrich-Heine-University in Düsseldorf, Germany
10.2003 – 05.2008 Diploma in chemistry at the Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf, Germany
Awards and Fellowships
- Young Scientist Prize in Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics 2016 of the European Physical Society
- Feodor Lynen Fellowship of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Finalist for the dissertation prize of the German Physical Society (AMOP)
- Since 01. 2021 Section Editor for Physics and Mathematics (Data in Brief)
- 07.2019 – 12.2020 Editorial Board member (Data in Brief)
- Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft
- American Physical Society
- European Physical Society
A list of contributions to conferences can be found here.